Professional Dog Training
Whether you've got a pup that is working on learning the basics or an older dog that's a seasoned pro, our professional dog training programs can have many great benefits! Not only will they be better listeners, but even the simplest tools can help a dog succeed and feel confident in varying situations. With several convenient training options and programs, you can pick the training services that best suits you and your pup!
Private Training Sessions
Our skilled trainer will work with you and your dog one-on-one to provide your pet with individualized, focused training attention. Private lessons are 1 hour and can be delivered in a center, at your home, virtually, or a combination that is convenient for you and your unique needs. Email our trainer Kelsey Kuhn at Kelsey.Kuhn@destpet.com for more information or to book a free 15 minute virtual consultation session. After your free consultation has been completed, Kelsey will develop a training plan to address your dog’s behavior goals.
Private Training Session Pricing
Free 15 minute virtual Consultation
- Single session: $150
- 4 session package: $600
- 6 session package: $850
- 8 session package: $1,050
Obedience Training Group Course
Week 1 - Intro to Training (Done over Zoom)
- What is positive reinforcement and why does it work?
- Training the dog you have
- Dog body language
- Establishing bridge
- Training “Touch”
- Training name recognition
Week 2 - Basic Commands
- Recognize dog’s body language
- Understanding the power of distractions
- Value of Patience
- Shaping behaviors vs Capturing
- Sit & Sit with Duration (Stay)
- Lay Down
- Good look
Week 3 - Leash Manners
- Recognizing distractions before your dog does
- Monitoring your own body language as well as your dog’s.
- Strengthen Place
- Loose-leash Walking
Week 4 - Leash Manners II
- Go Say Hi concept, reasoning
- “Go Say Hi” w/ people
- “Go Say Hi” w/ dogs
- Strengthen Loose-leash walking
- Strengthen Good Look
- Emergency U-turn
Week 5 - Special Topics
- How to use a long line
- Continue refining Go Say Hi
- Recall (long lines preferred)
- Drop it/leave it
Week 6 - Tricks
- Training for life: Training as enrichment (mental stimulation), exercise
- Roll over
- Leg Weave
- Sit Pretty
- Army Crawl
Our 6-week Dog Training Obedience Courses are offered regularly – check your Gingr portal or give us a call to learn when the next session will start! Each 6-week course is $180 per dog and includes a clicker for you to continue your training at home.
Enrichment Training sessions are perfect for dogs that are looking to learn all sorts of new skills! These dog training classes will only be offered while your pup is staying with us at daycare or our boarding program and will be divided into two levels based on previous knowledge. You may choose up to six skills that you'd like your pup to learn, and while you're off at work or on vacation, you'll have a new game to play with your best friend.
- Smile – Dog looks at camera
- Freeze Game – Dog freezes when cued during play
- Spin – Dog turns in a complete circle
- Leg Weave – Dog weaves in and out of trainer's legs
- Shake – Dog offers paw to be held
- Which Hand? – Dog chooses which hand holds the treat
- Kisses – Dog puts nose against trainer's cheek
- Sit Pretty – Dog sits on hindquarters with front feet in the air
- Get Your Toy – Dog picks up toy when asked
- Drop It – Dog drops toy when asked
- Army Crawl – Dog crawls across floor in down position
- Roll Over – Dog rolls over
- Bow – Dog's front legs and chest touch the ground with hind end standing
- Stand By Me – Dog stays at your hip
Themed dog training packages are also available with a preset list of commands that your dog will learn, each building on the previous skills:
Mind Games Package
- Which Hand?, Shell Game, Shell Game Master
Perfect Pup Package
- Get Your Toy, Drop It, Clean Up
- Smile, Pretty Picture, Selfie
Paw Time Package
- Shake, High Five, Wave
Individual classes start at $20, with options for 4-session packages ($18 per session) and 8-session packages ($16 per session) day add-ons while your pup stays at our facility. For more information, please contact Kelsey Kuhn (email@example.com).
Meet Our Trainer
Kelsey first caught the training bug in 2006 during her internship at Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium in Tacoma, Washington. Her first training guinea pig was, well, her pet guinea pig named Gracie. That summer, Gracie learned to target, turn in a circle, and station and Kelsey was hooked. Since then, she has trained over a dozen species across 3 zoos in addition to her dogs, cats, and chickens at home. She took her passion to the next level in March of 2021 by becoming a full-time dog trainer.
Not only does Kelsey enjoy training, she also loves sharing this skill-set with others. She developed a class for gifted middle school students titled "How To Train Your Dragon (Or More Normal Animals)" and later adapted it to create a workshop for Denver Zoo volunteers. Training isn't a secret superpower: Kelsey wants to show you how you too can be a "dog whisperer" and deepen your bond with your pet by playing fun games that set both you and your pup up for success!
Want to see the skills and tricks your pup will learn in our obedience classes and enrichment training sessions? Check out the videos below for just a few of the awesome things your pup will pick up!